Tuesday 4 June 2013

But I don’t feel like it...


I decided to write this post about something I personally struggle with, it’s something that has kept me back from accomplishing the things I know I am able to do, but just procrastinate until its become somewhat of an idea I once had or a dream that was stupid and silly, yup you know what I’m talking about, our little friend called laziness. You see, laziness is like the magnet it holds us back and reflects a direct opposite to success. I know that if I was completely set free from laziness I would probably be a teenage billionaire by now, really... no. But I would probably have a degree in more than one field, have my driver’s licence (yes I don’t have it yet, I’m allowed to be honest... it’s my blog okay), be a Master Chef, help my mom around the house all the time, come around to actually starting side projects I know will be successful if I put any effort into it, let me not even get started about gym and spending more time praying and reading the word. From a young age our teachers and parents have tried to put our laziness to rest by giving us chores or awards for “Extra Effort” or “Going Above and Beyond”. No matter how hard they try, laziness will always be a human condition, an incurable disease!

Fact is, with so many distractions in life, procrastination becomes easy, especially during the winter. All those series and movies you have waiting for you on your hard drive, social media and constant instant messaging allow for a great distractions for the things you meant to be doing. I mean, lying in your bed or sitting on your couch staring at a screen requires little to no attention, it’s the things we meant to be doing that requires the most effort and we often put it off because.... we just don’t feel like doing it! We love our comfort zone, we love doing nothing and we don’t want to use our energy on things that aren't of urgency. If you miss out on opportunities in life, don’t blame life for the cards you've been dealt because you are the one that didn't play the right cards at the right time. God presents you with opportunities everyday, you know how often I pray against my laziness, to be set free from it? I've become better... but there is still such a long way to go, so many ideas I have and things to do that I don’t even know where to start, there just aren't enough hours in the day, suffocating right?

Here is a little guide I came up with to try and deal with my everyday laziness:

Draw up a list:

Set out a list of all the things you want to accomplish in a certain period of time, let’s say weekly, and then another list on monthly or yearly intervals for the ‘bigger projects’ you want to accomplish. It will help you keep track of the things you need to do so that you can’t leave it for the next day or the next or the next otherwise you going to fall behind.

Turn your wants to dos:

I want to serve, I want to start exercise again, I want to help the homeless people out this winter, I want to be amazing at my job or talent... yada yada, stop wanting to do things and just start doing it! The only thing stopping you is yourself!

Don’t think about how much and just START:

The best way to start is to do one thing at a time, my first step was starting a new blog, and to keep my blog going putting effort in to inspire others and to encourage them to deal with issues like laziness and lack of commitment because chances are if it’s bothering me it’s bothering you. We all may look different but our core human problems and characteristics are so similar!

Always Help:

If someone asks you for help or you see an opportunity to help someone, don’t think about the time you don’t have think about the time you do have to potentially be a part of someone’s future success. We all have different talents, if we were to put them all together, so many stagnant issues in the world could be resolved!

Don’t quit half way through:

See things through to the end, yes well done you've started..... (imagine I stopped my post there with no conclusion, it may just be as annoying as a book or movie with a “to be continued” feeling to it and no sequel ever gets made or published) You are always going to wonder how things would have turned out, how successful that idea or relationship would have been had you put any effort into it!

Pray, pray and pray some more:

It’s the only thing that is going to keep your spirit up. Once you have played your part, pray for success, pray for favour, and pray for endurance to keep you going. No matter how many things you have going on in your life always devote time to God for He is the one who will inspire and guide you! He should be the start to your morning, the end of your evening and everything in-between  Don’t be lazy in seeking and knowing all of His glory.

Reflect on your achievements:

It will encourage you to set out on your new task or venture without hesitation if you can do it once you can do it again and again.

Assign rest to yourself:

Whether it is a solid week of recollecting your thoughts and staring at a square or rectangle screen then do it, but remember to pick up the slack in the weeks to come.

Don’t let laziness be the result of you missing out, always remember “God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown Him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.” Hebrew 6: 10-12


No comments:

Post a Comment